West Virginia Military Divorce Lawyer
If you or your spouse is an active duty member of the armed forces and you are considering a divorce, there are special considerations when military families separate. From custody and visitation to alimony and the division of property, an experienced Charleston military divorce attorney can ensure that important military issues are properly considered when a spouse is or has served in the military.
At Lyne Ranson Law Offices, PLLC, our attorneys know that military service can complicate a divorce in a number of ways. With Nearly 45 years of combined experience, our family law attorneys are dedicated to resolving family legal matters for clients throughout West Virginia.
Military Divorce Issues
A military divorce in West Virginia will create unique issues as compared to a typical civilian divorce. From the initial decision of where to file the divorce action to properly dividing military pensions, benefits and retirement accounts, our attorneys will work with you to ensure your rights are protected.
Every situation and family is unique, and our representation will be based on your needs and circumstances, but in military divorces some of the issues we will consider include:
- Residency requirements and ability of an active duty spouse to postpone the proceeding under the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act
- Asset division of military retirement benefits or spousal support based on the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFSPA)
- Analyzing how the length of the marriage and the years of service impact rights and access to ongoing medical benefits
- Structuring child custody arrangements that take into account deployments and relocation issues
- Determining the amount of child support and collecting it through direct assistance from the military if necessary
- Understanding and interpreting the pay structures for military members, including changes based on deployments, transfers, active duty status, housing allowances and other factors
We will work with you to fully understand your goals and needs for your future. We provide the legal guidance and support that can help protect your immediate and long-term financial security after a divorce.
Flexible appointment schedules
Nearly 50 years of combined legal experience