Charleston Contempt Lawyer

Even when people do not agree with a judge's order, the majority of people will follow through on their legal obligations. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. If your ex-spouse has not paid child support payments, failed to transfer property ordered in a divorce judgment or otherwise ignored a court order, you have legal options to enforce the court order.

At Lyne Ranson Law Offices, PLLC, our attorneys will help protect your rights and will work to enforce court orders in family law cases throughout West Virginia. Our Charleston contempt attorneys are dedicated to finding solutions to ensure that the legal rights and obligations in a divorce case are honored and followed.

Beckley Contempt Actions Attorney

When a party to a lawsuit disagrees with a decision made by a judge, he or she has the ability to seek a modification or appeal the decision. Choosing not to abide by the decision can result in civil and criminal contempt proceedings. In order to enforce the terms of an order that is being violated, our experienced West Virginia family law attorneys can discuss your situation and help determine if filing a contempt petition is the best legal action in your case.

A contempt petition is the legal tool used to ask a court to force another person to obey the order. Some cases where it may be necessary to file a contempt petition include:

  • Not following the schedule and terms of a court-ordered child custody, parenting plan or visitation schedule
  • Failing to pay child support or alimony (spousal support)
  • Failing to make payments ordered by the court to distribute marital property
  • Failing to sign documentation to transfer property or refinance a marital debt as ordered by the Court

If you are frustrated that your ex-spouse is not following a court order and want more information on how to enforce your rights, our dedicated and compassionate legal team can work with you to find a solution and ensure your voice is heard. We also represent individuals who have been accused of not following a court order and who are facing contempt proceedings, including child support enforcement actions.

Flexible appointment schedules
Nearly 45 years of combined legal experience

To learn how we can effectively protect your rights in divorce and other family disputes, contact our West Virginia family law attorneys